Things to do in your province this Labour Day weekend
No matter where you live, this Labour Day long weekend still holds an event for you to attend and enjoy. To help you get the most out of your weekend, we have compiled some events that may be transpiring in your area:
- 37th annual Victoria Classic Boat Festival – Watch 100 classic sail boats from the Pacific coast. Festival starts on Friday, August 29 and features silent auctions, rowing demonstrations and races open to all who are interested.
- Vancouver’s Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) - September 1 is the last day to enjoy shows, exhibits, sporting events, amusement rides, concerts, cultural activities and, of course, the annual summer Fair at the PNE.
- The Saanich Fair - Western Canada's oldest continuous agricultural fair runs from August 30 – September 1 near Victoria.
- Sustainival: The world's first green carnival – Held in Fort McMurray, Sustainival promotes a green future. Enjoy 20 rides and carnival games that all run on renewable energy at MacDonald Island Park from August 30 to September 2.
- 2014 Calgary Highland Games: One of the premier Highland Games in Western Canada will be celebrating 101 years on August 30, 2014. With competitors from around the world, the games will have Piping & Drumming, Dancing and Heavy Events.
- Symphony in the City – Enjoy the Edmonton’s Symphony Orchestra give a great outdoor concert from August 29-31 held at City Hall & Churchill Square.
- Saskatchewan Roughriders “Play it Safe” Day - Rider players and coaches, Gainer the Gopher, Roughrider Pep Band and the 620 CKRM Cheerleaders will all be on hand for pictures, autographs and games on August 30.
- QEII Gallery Art Exhibit: Artx9 – Held at Government House the free exhibition features artistic diversity with artists from varying Saskatchewan communities.
- Regina’s festival begins in the afternoon of Friday, August 29 with the “Awakening of the Dragons” Opening Ceremony and runs until August 30.The opening ceremony is open to the public at no cost and is the kick off to the Festival races that begin Friday evening in Wascana Park.
- Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre –Take in a craft, critter dipping, canoe excursions, face painting, birding walks and more. Horse drawn wagon rides on Labour Day from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- The Forks Farmers' Market – Swing by The Forks to stock up on farm-fresh produce, locally raised meats, delicious, homemade jams and preserves as well as some crafts on Sundays 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Goldeyes vs. RailCats – Watch the Winnipeg Goldeyes take on the Gary SouthShore RailCats at 7:00 p.m. at Shaw Park. Don’t miss the fireworks.
- Niagara Falls fireworks – One of the longest running fireworks series, enjoy the fireworks at the majestic falls and family-friendly atmosphere.
- Canadian International Air Show - A Labour Day weekend classic features the Canadian International Air Show with aerial stunts from the CF-18 Hornet, Trojan Horsemen and the Snowbirds.
- Woofjocks - Watch a group of professional dog trainers and their talented pups, when they perform a series of amazing tricks and feats at the PawsWay Centre at Toronto’s harbourfront.
- Fête Arc-en-ciel de Québec Pride Festival 2014 – A Colourful Labour Gay Weekend in Quebec City celebrate its 10 years with public outdoor exhibition, an international speaker and the return of a symbolic activity during Labour Day Weekend.
- 27th Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival: Annually welcoming 200,000+ visitors, this spectacular festival includes numerous international hot air balloons, shows and entertainment from August 29 to September 1, 2014
- The Ecomuseum Zoo - Make a trip to the Saint-Lawrence Valley Historical Society's Ecomuseum Zoo to prepare food for and feed the zoo's northern river otters. The event runs only on Saturday, August 31, but other attractions and exhibits run during the long weekend.
- Restigouche & District Labour Council Picnic and Parade - Parade will start on William Street at 11:00 a.m. and end at the Rotary Park for a BBQ on September 1
- A Day in a Soldier's Life – A one hour historical experience on September 1 for children 4 to 12 years of age. Each child dresses in the red tunic of the British regiment and is provided with a guided tour of the Guard House, military office and cell block.
- Fredericton Outdoor Summer Theatre – September 1 is the last day to enjoy the lively musical comedic theatre in Officers' Square for which the company is famous. Bring your lawn chair, a blanket and a picnic lunch.
- Wharf Rat Rally – Join motorcycle enthusiasts for parades, bands and motorcycle stunts scattered across the five-day festival. There'll be demo rides from Honda and Harley Davidson for newcomers and motorcycle veterans alike.
- Atlantic Fringe Festival 2014 – A staple of the Halifax cultural scene, the festival presents more than 50 shows with a variety of art, theatre, comedy, music and dance. Held Thursday August 28 to Sunday September 7.
Prince Edward Island
- Back for its second year! Cap off your summer on the beautiful Charlottetown Waterfront at Peake`s Quay this Labour Day weekend. This weekend-long festival will be full of family fun, some of the best street performers in the world, and the best hospitality you can find in North America. For all the latest on this year’s festival like the PEI Busker Festival on Facebook or follow them on Twitter.
- Founders Week 2014 — Running August 28 to September 7, Founders Week is a celebration of the Fathers of Confederation. The week will also have plenty of historical reenactments, fun, food, and celebratory fireworks!
Newfoundland and Labrador
- 9th Annual BIG Book Sale – Support the Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Saint John while getting yourself some new reading material. Last year, the BIG Book Sale raised over $14,000 for children’s mentoring programs thanks to generous support.
- Great Klondike International Outhouse Race – Only at this race will you find outhouses on wheels, scavenger hunts, and costumes. This hilarious event is one-of-a-kind held in Dawson City on September 1.
- Labour Day Slo-Pitch Classic – Come watch or enter a team in this annual softball tournament from August 29 – 31 in Dawson City.
- Community Arts & Crafts Exhibit – Don’t miss the last day (September 1) of this summer-long exhibition of arts and crafts by regional artists and the Northern Life Museum and Cultural Centre held at Fort Smith.
- Annual Glow Ball Tournament – For a unique experience, golf under the glow of the northern lights with glow in the dark golf balls on September 1 at Fort Smith.
- Thrills in the hills – Usher in the fall with this timed cross-country run at the ski club will take you through rock, soil, forest and hills starting September 1 in Yellow knife.
- Free Labour Day BBQ – Sponsored by the PSAC North, the PSAC Nunavut Area Council and the Northern Territories Federation of Labour will be held at Grinnell Park Pavilion.
No matter what you decided to do this Labour Day weekend, we hope you have a safe and happy holiday.
Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) (2014)
Pitching a tent near Vancouver (6/1/2009)
2014 Labour Day BBQ - Edmonton & District Labour Council (2014)
Symphony in the City (2014)
Saskatchewan Roughriders (2014)
Tourism Regina (2014)
Tourism Winnipeg - Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre (2014)
The Forks 25 (2014)
Access Winnipeg (2014)
CTV News Toronto - What's on in Toronto this Labour Day weekend? (8/29/2013)
Quebec City Pride Festival 2014 (2014)
Montreal Labour Day 2014 (2014)
Labour Day 2013: What To Do During September's Three-Day Long Weekend (8/21/2013)
New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island Labour Day Activities (2013)
Tourism Fredericton - Upcoming events
Atlantic Fringe Festival 2014 (2014)
2014 PEI Busker Festival
Founders Week 2014 (2014)
Saint John City Hall (2014)
Northwest Territories Canada - Upcoming events (2014)
PSAC AFPC The North (2014)
SaskPower - Regina Dragon Boat Festival (2014)
Calgary Highland Games (2014)